Posted: May 14, 2023
Families of Shortreed,
To all those mothers, grandmothers, and people who take on a motherly role with our kids… Happy Mother’s Day! We hope you had a day that allowed you to enjoy the sunshine, have a coffee that did not need to be reheated, have a few minutes of silence, and take a trip to the bathroom without interruption!!! (and, of course, enjoy some time with your kids).
I have been having some issues with the site tonight so I will keep this short and just stick to The Week Ahead portion of the newsletter. Be sure to check out our social media for some shots of some awesome efforts and excellent results in our grade 3-5 track meet! We will be handing out ribbons this week and notifying those who made it to the regionals on May 30. We will be postponing our 800m race until Tuesday due to a field trip and high temperatures. If the temperatures remain high on Tuesday, we will need to do the race in the morning (a reminder that this is just for grades 4-5).
A reminder that Friday is a Pro-D Day so there is no school for the students.
A note that grade 4/5 soccer is cancelled on Monday due to the high temperatures.
As always, we are honoured to work, learn, and play on the unceded, ancestral lands of the Matsqui First Nation; in Langley, we do so on the unceded, ancestral lands of the Matsqui, Kwantlen, Katzie, and Semiahmoo First Nations.
The Week Ahead
Monday – grade 4/5 soccer is cancelled
Tuesday – grade 4/5 800m race (time TBD)
Wednesday – Grades 1-3 classes to the Vancouver Aquarium; Kindergarten welcome event (current K classes are dismissed at 11:30).
Friday – Pro-D Day – no school for students
Month at a Glance
Monday, May 22 – Victoria Day – no school
Wednesday, May 24 – PAC Popcorn Day
Friday, May 26 – Spirit Day – Anything But a Backpack Day; PAC Fun Fair!
Monday-Friday, May 29-June 2 – Bike/Roll to School Week; Gr. 5 Swim Program
Monday, May 29 – Gr. 4/5 Intrasquad Game 2:45
Tuesday, May 30 – Grade 3-5 Regional Track Meet
Wednesday, June 7 – Gr 5s visit BGMS; Frozen Yogurt day
Friday, June 9 – Shortreed’s Got Talent 12:45
Monday, June 12 – ACSS Grad Walk
Wednesday, June 14 – PAC Meeting 9:30
Friday, June 16 – Wheels Parade and Sports Day! Hot lunch (pizza)
Attention Shortreed Community!!!
Our Fun Fair is a couple of weeks away. Please save the date, May 26th from 3:30 to 7:30pm.
Notices and order forms have gone home. This year the PAC has decided not to offer a discounted pre-sale rate. Instead, we didn’t raise prices and we have a Climbing Wall coming!
For more information take a look at our event page on Facebook ” Shortreed School Fun Fair. Or email Shortreedpac@gmail.com
Please take a look at the volunteer sign-up linked here. Please volunteer if you can. Without all our parents, teenagers from the high school and the staff’s support, we would not be able to throw great events for our kids. Most volunteer jobs will have a PAC Executive member at the station to help and show you what to do.
Thank you, Shortreed Community.
Important Updates and Reminders
New Ministry Reporting Order Support Materials for Parents and Caregivers
The Ministry of Education has released an excellent resource package designed to help parents and caregivers understand recent changes to assessment practices and the upcoming changes to the K-12 Student Reporting Policy. We would highly recommend that all schools send the Communication Student Learning: Information for Parents and Caregivers document home to all families now and again in September. Below you will find a link to the resource package as well as a one-page introduction to the resource package which helps parents as they navigate the document. The resource package is also available in 8 different languages on the K-12 Student Reporting Policy Information for Families web page.
- Transportation Registration 2023-2024 – Transportation registration for 2023-24 is now open. Please note the instructions to register are different for each category of rider. To help in our planning and creation of bus routes, registrations must be submitted by May 15 (eligible riders) and June 18 (courtesy riders). The District cannot guarantee approval after the deadline. New and existing riders can find more information on our Transportation Registration webpage here.
- Summer Session 2023 – Elementary/Middle/Secondary
Are you looking for skill-building or new learning opportunities for your child to keep them engaged during the summer? The District offers a variety of courses as part of Summer Session. Online registration begins on April 20th at 9:00am for Langley School District students. For dates, times, and courses available to grade 1-12 students, please visit our webpage here.
- Before/After School Care at Shortreed – now confirmed for 2023-2024 as well!
- If your family needs some support for breakfast before school, our breakfast program runs at 8:20 each day. Students must come every day and be on time. Please register here.
- Please have your child come prepared for the weather (coats, hood, gloves, boots) as most days are outside days at Shortreed. If you are in need of coats or shoes/boots, come and check out our selection in our Coat/Shoe/Boot exchange!
- If your child is sick, please keep them home until the symptoms have improved.
- Our school parking lot is closed between 8:15-9:00 and 2:00-2:45 (other than daycare, buses, and vehicles for people with a disability). The church across the street graciously allows us to use their parking lot for pick-up and drop-off so please park there or along 28th Ave. Do not park in the “no parking” (coned) areas along the yellow curbs. No u-turns.
Community Events and Information
Check out all the community events and opportunities on the Langley School District Community Bulletin Board by clicking here.