Posted: April 24, 2022
Families of Shortreed,
We hope you had a lovely weekend enjoying some of that lovely Spring weather. We will be holding off on the “Good Things” portion of the newsletter for this week and it will continue next week.
Having said that, I did want to share a few good things that happened beyond the classrooms:
- Students in our Aboriginal program, led by Ms. Elson, travelled to the UBC Museum of Anthropology to get a tour and learn about how cedar has been so important to local First Nation Peoples. Students toured the museum, had a close-up look at some tools, and had lunch in a “Haida House” nearby. Thank you to Ms. Elson for providing the students with this great learning opportunity.
- Our PAC hosted its annual Dollar Sale on Friday and it was a HUGE success. The PAC raised over $2000 for our school thanks to the many donations and support from the community. This event takes a huge amount of effort so a special shout out to Cashmere Roder for leading the Dollar Sale again this year.
- Our staff met on Thursday to place students into one of their top choices for Club Wednesdays. Staff will now start to plan and prepare for the sessions that start on May 4!
- Class Photos are Friday and our Book Fair starts this week!!!
- Track and field practices will start later this week at lunchtime (weather permitting).
- This is Mrs. Molina’s last week so please stop by to say farewell.
As always, we are honoured to work, learn, and play on the unceded ancestral lands of the Matsqui, Kwantlen, Katzie, and Semiahmoo First Nations.
The Week Ahead
Sunday – Hanging Basket online orders are due! (see below)
Monday – Our Book Fair starts! Class walk-throughs happen first with sales starting on Tuesday. Gr. 4 soccer after school.
Tuesday – Book Fair open after school until 3:30. Gr. 5 Volleyball at lunch. Gr. 4 soccer after school.
Wednesday – Book Fair open until 6:30.
Thursday – Gifts and Gathering (ages 0-5 – more info below) 1:00. Book Fair is open until 3:30.
Friday – Class Photos, Mini Assemblies in the afternoon.
Month at a Glance
Monday, May 2 – Fire Drill at 10:45
Wednesday, May 4 – Star Wars Day! Club Wednesdays start
Friday, May 6 – Metaphor – assembly 9am
Tuesday, May 10 – Neufeld Orders due
Thursday, May 12 – Shortreed Grade 3-5 Track Meet
Tuesday, May 17 – BGMS gr. 6 band performs for grades 3-5
Thursday, May 19 – Neufeld orders delivered
Friday, May 20 – Pro-D Day
Monday, May 23 – Victoria Day (no school)
Wednesday, May 25 – Regional Track Meet (grades 3-5 who qualify)
Friday, May 27 – Lockdown Drill 1:45, PAC Fun Fair – 3:30-7:30
- Spring has sprung and it’s that time of year when many of us want to add some colour along our fences or patios. Once again, PAC is doing a hanging basket fundraiser through Clearview Garden Center here in Aldergrove. You can choose from an assortment of 12″ baskets, and $7 from each purchase will go towards our playground enhancements. Vouchers will be sent home with your child by May 3, which you can then use at Clearview to redeem your hanging baskets until May 31. If you choose to order online by debit or credit card, please follow this link. Online orders are due Sunday, April 24.
Scholastic Book Fair
- After school buying time: This will be open for everyone to shop after school. Tuesday, April 26 – open until 3:30pm, Wednesday, April 27 – open until 6:30pm, Thursday, April 28 – open until 3:30pm
- If a parent/student can not come to the in-house book fair, we also have a Virtual Option this year as well. You can find the link here: https://virtualbookfairs.scholastic.ca/pages/5163030. All orders will be free shipping and delivered directly to the school for PAC to sort and deliver to the classes/students (or the parent can pick them up from PAC if it’s a gift). The Virtual fair runs on the same dates as the book fair April 25th – 28th.
- Neufeld Farms Fundraising ordering is only going to be online using this link.
- Payment is going to be Pre-Authorized Debit, Cash or Cheque Payable to Shortreed PAC.
- Details are online. Please, when handing in payment, include your name, student’s name, phone number and order number on a piece of paper so we know how to keep track. Also, if you’re emailing the link to others, they click “Customer write in seller” after placing an order. Seller should be the child’s full name. Orders are due Tuesday, May 10 and delivery is Thursday, May 19 at 2:30 at the school.
Important Updates and Reminders
Are you moving or leaving the District? The District is reminding families to ensure they have accurate and updated information in the MyEDBC parent portal. Information such as parent/guardian contact details and home address are examples of data required by staff to plan enrolment, transportation services and other programs. Please contact your school office if you have questions about updating student information. The District appreciates your cooperation as this helps plan the next school year.
- With ongoing construction taking place, we have fewer parking spaces for staff and a need for more parking for workers. This means that more parking spaces along the streets around the school will be occupied. The church is still allowing parents to part there for pick up and drop off.
- A reminder that our parking lot is closed for pickup and dropoffs (except for vehicles with a handicap tag, buses, and those picking up/dropping off for daycares).
- Are you interested in some tips for reading at home with your child? Check out our Home Reading Website!
- Attendance – if your child will be away, please email the attendance email (email@example.com) or call the school. If you do not call, you will receive an automated message at about 9:30am.
Are you looking for events in our community? Take a look at our District’s Community Bulletin Board here for some great opportunities for families.
Ready Set Learn – Gifts and Gatherings – Check out this FREE Ready, Set, Learn opportunity for parents and their children aged 0-5! Parents and children from Aldergrove and beyond can come to any/all of the sessions. At each session, we will honour a certain age group but the engaging learning activities are designed for all children aged 0-5 (and their parents). Register for one more sessions! Check out the flyer below and register online.
Note from C. Wejr – I worked with Sam Collie and she is amazing with kids and families so the sessions should be awesome!