Posted: August 28, 2019
Families of Shortreed,
Welcome to another exciting year at Shortreed Community Elementary! To all those new families, welcome to our community.
Mr Touzeau and I are so excited to continue to serve this community and humbled to be a part of the incredible team we have at Shortreed. We will continue to work with and build on the legacy created by staff over the years to ensure that Shortreed maintains the level of excellence in inclusion, belonging, literacy, self-regulation, and a strengths-based culture. We are also excited to continue to work together as a staff to build a solid athletics program that will provide increased opportunities for our students. As always, please let us know (call or email) if there are ever any questions about your child or our school.
We have some new staff joining us this year:
- Mrs Zelter – grade 4 (possibly grade 3)
- Mrs Kelly and Mrs Vleeming – kindergarten (Job share)
We also are excited to see some familiar faces returning to our school:
- Ms Johnson – will be teaching in our English Language Learners (ELL) program
- Mrs Randhawa – Resource/LA
The above teachers are, of course, in addition to the many wonderful teachers and support staff who have been at our school for a year or more.
As a school district, teachers and support staff work hard to welcome our students and create a positive experience for them in the first week. They also meet a few times to determine and finalize classes for the 2019-2020 school year. As has been for the past few years, we wait to hear a confirmation from the district as to the number of divisions we have so students will not be in their permanent classrooms until the Monday after school starts (September 9). Please note the following schedule as it is very different than a typical week at Shortreed but one that ensures we promote a positive experience for our students while we finalize class placements.
- Tuesday, September 3
- Shortened day – School 8:40 – 10:30
- PLEASE read the rolling boards (each and every morning) for the most current information as room assignments, etc. may change last minute each day! These boards are at the side of the school and at the back of the school.
- New K students and parents = please meet in the gym at 10:45 for a review and to sign-up for a parent-teacher interview time.
- All returning students go to last year’s classroom as a homeroom. Due to changes in staff, some students will go to the same classroom but will have a different teacher.
- Mrs Shears’ students will go to Room 116 (right beside their classroom) with Mrs Zelter
Ms Rafighi’s students will meet with her but in Room 104 (Ms Johnson’s old classroom)
Ms Johnson’s students will meet with her but in Room 115 (Mrs Shears’ old classroom)
Mrs Graham’s students will meet in their classroom but with Mrs Muller.
All other students will return to their last year’s classrooms with their previous teacher.
- New Grade 1-5 students = please meet in the gym. You will be welcomed and then walked to a homeroom that you will be part of for this week.
- Please remember that the teachers your child has during this week ARE NOT their teachers for the year. As per the last few years, your child will have a homeroom teacher and then grade teachers that they will be working with this week.
- We will once again have our “First Day of School” frames up for families to capture a memorable or goofy moment!
- If you have any questions, there will be a number of us outside to help.
- Wednesday/Thursday September 4/5
- Students will return to their homeroom with last year’s teacher before moving to next grade teachers. At the end of the day, students will be dismissed from their homeroom.
- Grade 1 students will be with temporary teachers for homeroom for Wed/Th-Fri. A note will be given to them on the first day to explain the room they will be going to and where they can be picked up (all grade 1 homerooms for the first week are at the back of the school). Staff will be out there to help if people have questions.
- Ms Petersen’s class will meet with Mrs Randawa in Room 115
- Ms Coghill’s class will meet with Mrs Zelter in Room 116
- Mrs Rutter’s class will meet with Ms Bedard in Room 114
- Friday, September 6
- Students will begin once again in homeroom classes before moving to grade classes as per the other days this week.
- We will have a short assembly to celebrate our first week.
- Classes once again will dismiss from homeroom.
- Monday, September 9
- Students will begin in homerooms for the final time and will be moved to their new classes (permanent classes for 2019-2020) on this day but return to homerooms at the end of the day. Students will have their notices in hand regarding their new class/teacher and where to start the day on Tuesday.
- At Shortreed, we do not post class lists for confidentiality and legal reasons. Instead of posting lists, we will be handing out pieces of paper with new classes and teachers listed to all students at the end of day on Monday.
OTHER IMPORTANT STARTUP INFORMATION:
- Our teachers, support staff, resource staff and admin spend a lot of time discussing and creating educationally sound classes for all of our students.
- Teachers and staff put a lot of thought into carefully placing students based on academic, social, and emotional factors. We do not accept requests for teachers.
- Please do not send new school supplies to school until your child has their assigned classroom/teacher for the year.
- If possible, send your child with a small pencil case/box with a pencil, eraser, scissors, glue stick and crayons (or pencil crayons or felts) that are perhaps leftover from the previous year, for the first week.
- Healthy snacks and lunches are strongly encouraged. Please do not send juice boxes. A reusable water bottle works best. Snacks should be something that your child is able to eat in five minutes or less and is preferably handheld.
- We are a nut aware school so please limit these products, if possible, from your child’s snack and lunch.
- As some students struggle with some separation anxiety and worry, Anxiety BC has published this document to help. Please take a few minutes to read.
- Please check your email each day next week for updates as needed.
- If your contact information has changed, please contact the school or email Mrs Tanner to let us know.
Have a great first week!
Mr. C. Wejr